Graduation Countdown

Saturday, February 2, 2019

Wikipedia Trails: Squirrel to Royal Air Force

Squirrel
I got to this from the class Twitter. It was talking about squirrels and that sounded interesting so I learned more about squirrels. It's name comes Greek word meaning shadow-tailed. I also did not know they that could not digest cellulose.
Protein
Back to the Squirrel page. I was fascinated about what squirrels could and could not eat. I know a bit about proteins because I am a biochemist. I clicked further to see what Wikipedia had to say and started learning about the history of it.
John Kendrew
I found this guy at the end of the protein page. He solved the first protein structure which was myoglobin. This was incredible! As a future doctor, I also knew quite a bit about myoglobin and in some classes talked about it so it was cool to see the guy who solved its structure.
Royal Air Force
John Kendrew lived an interesting life. I talked about what he did before. He also worked at the Royal Air Force headquarters. This is the oldest air force in the world. Unlike the US Air Force, this Air force is primarily based in the UK and is not scattered around the world.


(Squirrel. Source: Pixabay)

No comments:

Post a Comment