Graduation Countdown

Sunday, February 17, 2019

Learning Challenge: Deskercises

I think a lot of, especially students are not incorporating exercises in their daily life. I know when most people think of exercise they probably think of the gym and the "typical workout" which includes running and all. This is one form but they are many ways to exercise. I found some exercises to even do at a desk! When looking at the Yoga Desk Exercises I noticed that I already did most of these. I personally do not like sitting down all day or staying still for that matter. In class, you don't really have a choice. Therefore, throughout class I will stretch by simply twist my torso side to side or tilting my head on each side or extending my legs as far as I can or holding my hands behind my back and trying to pull outward. These really help me in class. I can focus more and I don't feel so stiff. When I began to read the other one it mentioned stairs. Instead of taking the elevator to your room, take the stairs. Instead of taking the elevator down from the parking garage, take the stairs. When going to class instead of taking the elevator up, take the stairs. This is the easiest way to get exercise as a student. I have class on the fourth floor of some buildings and every morning I will take the stairs. Not only is this sometimes faster but like I said I get exercise. When I was taking my MCAT, after taking a portion I would go to the hallway or bathroom when on break and just jump in place for 2 mins and it would get my blood flowing and I could think better and its cardio. 

There is a lot we can do for our health. A lot of small changes could greatly improve our well-being. 
(The open chest stretch. Source: HBR)




Sources:  33 Exercises   and   Yoga Desk exercises


1 comment:

  1. So many Med students in this class! I hope you did well on the MCAT! I cannot imagine how stressful it must be preparing for such a big test. I was curious to read about the deskercises, and found it interesting. These seem like great ways to move around in the classroom setting. I bet we all do some of these without really realizing it. I am bad about taking the elevator, instead of taking the stairs. I am very lazy like that. However, you are right and any amount of exercise can make a difference. Maybe tomorrow when I go to class I will reconsider my normal routine, and take the stairs instead! Thanks for the food for thought!

    ReplyDelete