Graduation Countdown

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Reading Notes: Online: Public Domain Edition: Mahabharata Section C

Karna and Indra
I really liked this story because I have not really read anything about a god being afraid of a man or wanting to protect his child. I believe this helps give the gods personality and make them to be not so distant. It shows that Indra actually cares for his son instead of not worrying about him or thinking of him. It seemed pretty clever that Karna figured out it was Indra and still made a trade. To me it seems silly. If you have invincible armor and the dad of the person who is your enemy says give me it then he must be worried about his sons life. Therefore, this means the god thinks you would beat his son if you held onto this armor. Thus, why give it up? Or why just one boon? Invincible armor seems like it would take a lot for a person to just hand over. I guess Karna was thinking Indra would give his son the armor which is why he asked for an invincible dart. The thing is though, Indra made it so he could use it in one circumstance and if he did not then the dart would kill him. These seems like a deal I would not take but is what makes the story interesting.

(Indra gives Karna the arrow. source: Wikimedia)

Bibliography: 
Source. Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists by Sister Nivedita (1914). Karna and Indra
http://ouocblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/pde-mahabharata-karna.html


This was kind of a long story. I could not believe that the Voice kept going on and on. I was shocked to see that Ajurna died and his servant and brother. I actually read part of this story in one of the comics because it seemed familiar to me and I knew the other brother would come and answer the riddle and save his brother and the Voice. In the comic it was a lot shorter and he did not answer so many riddles. Yudhishthira ended up answering them all and saving his brothers and asking that they go unnoticed for a year. It made sense because if they were spotted in that last year they would go into exile again which made no sense to me either. I was confused on how he was the celestial sire of Yudhishthira. 

Bibliography: 
Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913). Riddles 
http://ouocblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/pde-mahabharata-riddles-at-lake.html

No comments:

Post a Comment