Graduation Countdown

Thursday, February 21, 2019

Reading Notes: Online: Public Domain Edition: Mahabharata Section B.

Gambling Match
It was so sad to see that the wise king knew what Duryodhana was planning to do but still went through with it. I wish they would have explained a bit more why this was so. Yudhishthira knew better but I guess like all characters, each one has a fatal flaw and his was gambling. It was even more surprising that he would gamble so far as to give away his kingdom, his own self and his wife. This seems ridiculous. I know that people can gamble a lot away and maybe that was what the story was hinting at that you can even gamble away you life literally. However, I think most people with gambling problems would stop when it comes to someone they love. I also think that after losing too much that he would begin to question the dice or ask Duryodhana to play i
nstead of his nephew. Depending on the game his chances vary as to winning but the odds of losing that may times in a row is nearly impossible. This could be something to include in my story, really exploit one of my characters fatal flaws. Or just see how desperate someone is to win or how much they are willing to lose. These would be great things to explore. As far as the writing style, I thought this was very well written and gave the character voices.

(Gambling. Source: Wikimedia)


Bibliography: Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie. Gambling Match. http://ouocblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/pde-mahabharata-gambling-match.html

No comments:

Post a Comment