Graduation Countdown

Thursday, February 7, 2019

Reading Notes: Online: Public Domain Edition Ramayana, Section D

Valmiki's Hermitage
I was greatly surprised that Rama exiled the love of his life. To me this is a character flaw in Rama. He lets what other people thing of him get the best of him. He should of had no problem of Sita living with him. Sita even proved to him that she had been faithful when she put herself in fire but came out okay. People will always talk but if you know she is innocent then to me it is crazy that he did this. However, I have to give the author props. I did not see this coming at all. That is what makes a great story. One that makes you say "wait, what?" and wants you to keep reading more and more. I was also quite surprised that Sita had children and Rama did not know. I would of thought she would of told his brother that she is pregnant or he would of known and told Rama.

Bibliography: Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie. blogspot




Sita Departs
This here is a nice conclusion to the Ramayana. When Rama meets his sons, the great saint Valmiki taught them poems to sing about Rama. It then also provided the lovers to be reunited with each other. Rama agrees to take Sita back and do another test of purity. But then she is gone again. It is here where we realize the truth about Rama, that he is the avatar of the god Vishnu. This ending was great! I will have to try and keep surprise endings when I try and write my story. I will also have to find a way to connect the whole story and bring about a conclusion that is satisfying to the readers. It was also interesting to note that Sita, her name means furrow, and she returns into the ground of the Earth. So although, these two lovers on Earth are done, they will one day meet again in Heaven. I liked how the author broke this text up. They included some paragraphs and then text with only a couple of lines and then maybe back to paragraphs and then to a few lines. It was defiantly easy to read and not as complicated. This ending provided backstory and a conclusion.

Bibliography: Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists by Sister Nivedita. Blogspot

(Sita goes into the Earth. Source: Wikimedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment