Graduation Countdown

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Wikipedia Trail: Hiranyaksha to Jataka

(Hiranyaksha being killed by boar. Source: Wikimedia)

Hiranyaksha
While doing my research on my storybook topic I first started looking at Hiranyaksha. This is a demon. This creature used to be a doormen for Vishnu but was sentenced to life on earth as enemies of Vishnu for 3 lifetimes.

Vishnu
Since Vishnu had a lot connected to Hiranyaksha and Hiranyaksha was even killed by an avatar of Vishnu. I then was able to learn more about Vishnu and all of his avatars. One of his most famous one  is Rama from the Ramayana. Then I continued to learn more and saw Buddha.


Buddha
I had no idea that Buddha was an avatar of Vishnu. This is one of the more recent reincarnations. I learned that Buddhism adopted the Hindu god Krishna. They talk about this in the Jataka.

Jataka
These are books from India regarding all the previous reincarnations of the Buddha. It said that the Buddha had reincarnations of both human and animal. These remind me of children stories that teach them a lesson. It also shows how the Buddha reincarnation comes and brings peace and happiness to the story.

(Jakata story. Source: Wikimedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment