Graduation Countdown

Friday, February 8, 2019

Story Lab: Advice to Writers

One of the best pieces of advice I found while exploring the website is not write what you would not read. To me this sounds so simple but very much true. I began to think about what that meant even more though. If I tried to write a book about poems then I do not think it would be great compared to if I wrote a book about science or adventure. What it comes down to is your passion. If I am not passionate about poems but try writing a book of them I believe people would know that I do not like poems. Not because I said that but because my voice in the poem or the quality of the poems. As a writer you have to think, would you even read this if it was not yours? Of course not everyone will read your work but if even you would not then why would anyone else? Not everyone will like your work either but if you do then that is what is important and the people who like this topic will see your passion behind the work and greater appreciate it.
Bibliography:  You can't write what you wouldn't read   by NORA ROBERTS




The second piece of advice that I found helpful was to not link things that do not cause one another. I think I tend to do this in my writing. Example: "As John was cutting the grass, Mary started to cook dinner. " These two things have nothing to do with each other. It sounds much better if I would of said "John was cutting the grass outside. Mary was inside cooking dinner." You should only using the "As this happened, this happened" if it is cause and effect. I think for me I do this because I just want to either make the scene flow or try and get all of the backstory in one sentence.

Bibliography:  Don't Explain How Things Are Linked in Fiction by PHILIP HENSHER

No comments:

Post a Comment