Graduation Countdown

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Reading Notes: Online: Public Domain Edition: Mahabharata Section A

Pandu and His Wives

I thought this story was interesting mainly because I did not see that coming. Also it makes me view his character differently than if this had not been in the story. I could understand a man hunting and see a great big deer and want to kill it. However, if the deer is in the middle of the act, it seems kind of weird to shoot it right there. In the first part it explains a very brief account of what happened in a couple paragraphs. The other part of the story is more detailed which to me is important. In the first story it said the King took vows of celibacy but in the second story it says nothing of this. It was important to note the Brahmin did not curse him because he shot him as a deer. He cursed him because he shot him while in the act. I was surprised to note that the Brhamin, the priest, in a sense cursed his wife too. That she must die with him, the one whom he was lustful towards or was in the act with. Maybe this is more of the culture that the wife would die with the husband. It also seems kind of sad and wrong that this Bhramin would curse Pandu so much that he would die. If these guys are the spiritual ones then I think they would just want them to repent not wish bad upon them. It seems also so crazy that these guys have so much power to curse that it comes true. I would have to take this into account when writing my stories. I think a lot of people today curse or wish bad upon others or "curse others" but are saying it because they are mad at the time. But in reality they would not actually want that to happen to the other and if it did happen they would feel bad and guilty that it happened. So maybe when writing I can have someone accidentally curse someone and it comes true.
(Pandu shoots the Brahmin. Source: Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment