Graduation Countdown

Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Reading Notes: Online: Public Domain Edition Ramayana, Section C




(Rama Sends Lakshmana to Sugriva. Source: Onlinegallery)

Rainy Season
I am not a fan of the sentence structure of two lines in a sort of poem. This writing style made me a bit confused on what was going on and who was taking in it. However, when it goes into Rama's lament I did enjoy how it was set up. I also knew who was talking which was great. He is reflecting what is going on and does it in a very creative pattern of speech which was unique. It gave me an insight of what he was thinking instead of the narrator telling me how he feels and what is going on.
As a story teller, it is important that the reader can connect with the characters. I think we can all relate to Rama when we lose someone or something we love. Although, I am not a fan of the two sentence structure style of writing I can respect and understand it. In order to appease to all readers, it is important to shake up your style. I would not just use the two line structure but do as they did in the story by using both the two line structure and then either a paragraph style or poem style.

Bibliography: The Rainy Season. Ramayana, The Epic of Rama, Prince of India, condensed into English verse by Romesh Dutt




Sampati and Jatayu
In this story I was looking more at the formatting of the story. The author would bold certain words and provided links so that the audience member would have a clue of what that thing is or who that person or animal is. The bold characters from previous stories, gods from Hinduism, and places in the world. At the end of the story, the author decided to italicize the last paragraph. I think it provided great way of transition. In the italicized text, it was more of a description. No character spoke but the narrator provided details with what happened. I really liked that break of text and style. It provided a nice closing. Something else I noticed in the text is how different all the characters spoke. The bird Sampati spoke with a very old and formal way of speech which included "thou, "wouldest", "thy" etc.  When writing my stories I will need to keep in mind that not every character should talk the same, they all need to have their own characteristics and voice.

Bibliography:  Sampati and Jatayu  The Iliad of the East: The Ramayana, by Frederika Richardson Macdonald

No comments:

Post a Comment