Graduation Countdown

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Learning Challenge: Sleep

(Cat just wants to sleep. Click picture to watch gif. Source: Reddit)

Why Sleeping May Be More Important Than Studying. Source: MindShift

The article confirmed about what I knew about how choosing to sacrifice sleep to cram can actually cause you to do worse on tests. I will say based on personal experience, this is kinda true. When I cram before a test sometimes, the stuff I stayed up cramming for did not really help me but other times it was important. Regardless, I should have been preparing for the exam about a week or few days before that way I would not have to stay up so late and would be prepared. I wish I could say I learned something new from this article but I did not. When I was studying for the MCAT I had to know quite a bit about sleeping and dreams. Also, I have just been really fascinated by dreams and therefore knew a lot about sleep. I have also heard people talk about how sleeping helps with memory. I did try this and was able to recall more after a good nights sleep versus minimal sleep. I would like to see how accurate this study is and look more into how cramming affects test scores. I also think it would be interesting to see how sleeping in phases would affect someone. What I mean by this is sleeping 2-3 hours at a time. I once was studying for an exam and would set my alarm for an hour or two later so I could rest and wake up to continue studying. That did help me and I was able to do well on the test. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Joshua! I really enjoyed reading your blog. I agree cramming and missing out on sleep really sucks. It is not beneficial, well not to me anyway. I have crammed missing out on sleep once during my freshman year and I can tell you I am never doing that again. Instead I go to sleep around eleven and wake up at five or six to continue reviewing/studying until my test. I find that so much better than studying all night missing out on vital sleep. Right now I am trying to balance MCAT studying, schoolwork, and a job, so I for sure need to get sleep everynight. We will see how well that goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck!! That is one tough test. Let me know if you need any help, advice, or study material (I am giving away my MCAT stuff for free to whoever needs it).

      Delete