Graduation Countdown

Thursday, January 31, 2019

Week 3 Story: Banishment of Mario

Author's Note: I got my inspiration from three short stories in the Ramayana. In these stories Rama, the good and righteous son is banished. His father wanted him to become king but one of the king's three wives reminded him of a favor he owed her and she wanted her son to be king and for Rama to be sent into exile for 14 years. In my story I changed it from being the wife of the King to being the brother of the future king who would betray him and sentence him to exile. I changed the story of how they favor was earned. The characters in my story are of the Mario World and it fits perfectly with the Ramayana because they are brothers in those stories as well. In exile they go into a jungle that is dangerous and since this is the Mario World, they go into the pipes and underground. 



(Mario Underground. Source: Protipoftheday)

Through the underground pipe system they went. The path was dim with just enough light to see in front of them. It was also very silent. The other thing they heard was their own footsteps and the occasional drip of water from a pipe. Although, the situation was not the best the three characters still made the best of it.

Mario and his brother Luigi, and Mario's wife, Princess Peach were in exile. Mario's younger brother Wario took the throne that Mario was destined for. Their father, Grand Plumber, was tired of running the kingdom and needed time to relax. He saw his young Mario progress from a small plumber to a big plumber. He knew Mario would be a great ruler and the people in the kingdom already loved him but when Wario found out he plotted to get rid of his brother. 


(Wario, Mario's brother. Source: Pixabay)

Wario knew his brother was noble and honorable and knew it would be hard to make his father not give Mario the thrown. Therefore, Wario went to thinking about how to convince Mario to leave. Mario had everything he needed here, so why would he leave? Then a light bulb hit him. When they were children Wario saved Mario's life when he almost died from a Koopa, an evil flying turtle. After the incident, Mario vowed that should Wario ever need or request anything Mario would honor it. 

Now it was the day before Mario was to be crown King. Mario very excited for the next day but secretly Wario was even more excited. Wario went up to Mario and reminded him of the good ol' days. They shared memories together and laughed. Then Wario brought up the story of saving his brothers life. Mario thanked his brother for saving his life and reminded him that he would do anything for him because of that. Wario grinned. "My dear brother, would I be able to use my request today?", Wario asked shyly. "Of course, what is it?" said his brother. Wario became serious and said, "I would like you to step down from becoming king and give me thing kingdom". Mario was shocked, "brother why? I earned this. Father gave it to me. Why?"he asked. Wario ignored his brother and asked if he would honor his request or would he lose his honor and deny Wario the kingdom? Mario saddened simply said, "It is yours". As Wario was about to exit to celebrate he said one last thing to his brother, "As your new king, I banish you into exile for thirteen years. Do not return until then. I expect you gone by tomorrow". 

One would think Mario would fight his brother or call his father but instead he honored his new king's request. Mario was leaving the city when his wife stopped him. Mario tried to tell her to stay where she would be safe but she did not care, she wanted to be with her lover. Mario's closest brother, Luigi, also said he would go. He did not want to be apart of this new kingdom and wanted to be with his brother and to protect him and his wife. So off they went. They took The Pipe down and never looked back. 

(The Pipe. Source: Wikimedia)



Bibliography:
  1.  Rama is Banished. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie 
  2.  Exile. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie 
  3. Manthara and Kaikeyi. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie

4 comments:

  1. Hi Joshua, great adaptation of the Ramayana stories. The Mario angle is super creative. I only wish that Waluigi could have had a part. I liked how you described Wario's conversation with Mario about abdicating his kingship. I think you captured the palace intrigue and treachery in the conversation. Good job on your story. I look forward to randomly possibly getting your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Joshua! I loved how you creatively wrote about the Raymayana stories, and interpreted it into the Mario World. I've always played Mario games when I was little , but never knew the story. I really liked how you were able to relate everything together to tell a similar story about a brother exiled over a kingdom. I think you did really well in writing the story! I hope to read more of your writing soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joshua!

    I really enjoyed how you changed the characters into those of the Mario Bros. I think you couldn't have made a better connection, as the brothers relationship between Rama and Lakshmana are very similar to Mario and Luigi. Also, the evil queen being portrayed by Wario was another great casting choice. If you continue to write in this style, I got to ask, would Ravana be Donkey Kong or Bowser? I also really enjoyed how the jungle where Rama was exiled is replaced with the underground from Mario Bros. Great job, can't wait to read more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joshua! I took a brief minute to find some of your stories to comment on and noticed that your overall theme for the stories is Mario, that is so awesome! I liked how you combined a few of the stories from the Ramayana to make one big story, I think it flowed perfectly. Cant wait to read the rest!

    ReplyDelete