Graduation Countdown

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Growth Mindset or Fixed Mindset?



(Growth Mindset. Source: Flickr)



Before I began watching the videos the term "Growth Mindset" sounded familiar but I did not remember where I had herd this. After doing my own research into Growth Mindset it clicked. As I mentioned in my last post, I am a pre-med student. Last spring when I was studying for the MCAT, which covers a wide rang of topics, the term appeared in the psychology portion. They were comparing the two of Fixed Mindset and Growth Mindset. However, I do not ever remember hearing or reading about Carol Dwerk. 

I think it is so easy to get stuck on the Fixed-Mindset path because it takes no effort, literally. If you can't do it, you give up. You don't seek a challenge. You stay at where you are at. To me, this is not a place where I want to be. If I am staying still it is almost as if I am going backwards since I am capable of more and I am neglecting that. I think as my schooling has progressed I have become more and more on the Growth mindset path. I will not only accept a challenge but I will seek one. I have come to realize that this is how I actually grow and will learn more when I do this. 

I think the biggest thing for me is trying to be motivated to do things that I do not find interesting or am not passionate about. However, for stuff that I am interested in, it is really easy for me to accept challenges for this. I would be pretty interested in learning more about the growth mindset as I have a very limited knowledge on it. 

For this semester, my goal is to have a 4.0 this semester and to graduate. I also want to learn about multiple ways of learning that way I can find out which works the best for me and be more successful. The class I am least looking forward to is Pchem II because I do not find physics all that interesting but at least it is related to chemistry. I also am kind of worried about this class because I have had him for Pchem I and his tests were difficult and I did not do well in the class. The class I am looking forward to is this class and my Senior Project class.




(The Mind. Source: Twitter)

No comments:

Post a Comment