Graduation Countdown

Friday, April 5, 2019

Learning Challenge: Empathy: I wish my teacher knew

I read the article I wish my teacher knew... which were was a moving and humbling experience. I had not heard of anything like this before. It really blew me away with the answers that some of the kids wrote. I bet how it can really change a teacher's perspective when preparing lessons or interacting with students. One of the ones said they wish their teacher knew that they didn't have pencils at home so they could never do hw or that their parents were never around so they could never sign their reading log. I think it could be easy for a teacher to get upset or discipline a student since they didn't do something like hw. However, by knowing what is going on they can better understand the situation. I think the teacher can maybe provide pencils to the student who doesn't have any at home. It is a really tough situation not only for students but also fellow students. I think for me it could be easy to see a classmate who is not doing well or doesn't have their hw, etc and just think that they don't care about school or aren't trying but in reality their home life could be difficult and prevent them from doing well. I think more teachers should do this if they can.
(I wish my teacher knew... Source: nytimes)

No comments:

Post a Comment